Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mzungus, Funerals and More


Schools:

Our oldest library is in Namirembe Primary School. After looking at the photo, I‘m sure you understand why it is time to do a major restock this year. Recently, I was at Mengo Secondary. Some students approached me to say hello. They said they were from the African Children’s Choir school. When I told them we were making a new library in Mengo, they were totally excited. They said they were bored without their LOL library! Cheers!


Trudy‘s Tidbits:

Did you know that in Uganda it is considered bad manners to walk down the street eating or drinking, as there are others that might not be able to afford food and water?

Why do you think when mzungus (white skin) attend church here, the majority drink water through the service? I watched it again Sunday morning by some visitors sitting on the front row of church. That has always bothered me. The rest of the congregation doesn’t have water. So why should the mzungus?

I have been to other ceremonies in Uganda, but recently attended my first funeral. It was miles and more miles through the forest back in the bush, with a huge attendance. The service was held outdoors under a tent. 


Following the service, burial was on the other side of the area where banana trees were being grown. As the throng of people formed many lines to trek the distance, walking between banana trees as the sun filtered through, I felt as if I was being transported into a movie or book … and the group would be breaking out of the trees singing beautiful old spirituals.

According to Jane and Noah, if you have money the burial happens as it did today: A hole is dug; the hole is framed with concrete; the casket is placed inside; wire mesh is put over the top; next, sheet metal on top of that; and finally - concrete is poured on the very top. If you don’t have money - simply bury.


A Ugandan casket at a shop.
Three little children who are forced to beg approached me on the street grabbing my hand. They could not have been dirtier. Poor kids. Two looked about 4 - with one even younger. I finally gave one of the older kids a ‘paper’ money - and the two younger ones some coins. The youngest (probably 3) started crying and letting me know he didn't want coins… He wanted bills! Sad!


I appreciate your prayers and kind words. It is humbling to serve as His hands and feet, as I deliver food to those who have none, plus help in other ways - tackling what seems to be huge mountains to some of our friends, which seem as simple bumps, easy to change.

Thank you for reading. God’s blessings.

Trudy

Next time: Follow up to “A Night in a Killer's Hut”

No comments: